Saturday, January 15, 2011

Mr:Moore distancing himself from 'suspect' Chris Jefferies

The Murder of Jo Yeates and Clifton College, Bristol

Am I the only one who thinks the short BBC interview with Mark Moore, Headteacher of Clifton College, Bristol, was extremely revealing? We expect our leading Public schools to major in character, so when crises occur, we are able to see what institutions are really like. Having watched, I took the view that I wouldn’t want to spend £9000 a term sending my child to Clifton College.

We have here an appalling tragedy on our hands – a young woman has been murdered. We also have a suspect, Chris Jefferies, who was, it appears, before he retired in 2001, Head of English at the exclusive Public school, Clifton College. Mr Jefferies is also Jo Yeates’ landlord. Because he has become a suspect, the media is interested in establishing something of his background.

Thus it was that they came to interview Mr Moore, the Headteacher of Clifton College.

 In the less than 30 second clip, what did we learn about Mr Jefferies? The country, clearly in Mr Moore’s mind, was agonising over whether Mr Jefferies had taken early retirement legitimately.

Apparently he had: “”He took early retirement, which he’s perfectly entitled to do”. And it was so long ago – the subtext ran – he’s nothing to do with us. Yes, it was that classic moment – Peter had had it two thousand years ago: ‘Do I know Jesus Chris? Jesus – no! He’s nothing to do with me, Guv – never seen him before in my life’. Mr Moore’s fear was visible: how could Clifton College ever have made the mistake of appointing somebody who would subsequently prove to be a murder suspect?

Don’t WE get character right?

In fact the extended version of the interview in the BBC Bristol News is more explicit: “I’ve been headmaster here for six years and I’ve certainly never met Mr Jefferies and there will be few people on the current teaching staff, and pupils, who have ever met Mr Jefferies.” I only went to a 300 year old Grammar school – not a real Public school – but teachers in these places are legends: they have nicknames, they are talked about for at least fifty years after they have left. There is such emphasis on continuity, community and belonging – it’s part of character – it’s the whole alumni tradition.

And so, we are now being told that there’s scarcely anybody alive who can remember him there? Or who have met him?

Imagine how we might have felt with this response to the BBC enquiry: ‘Yes, I never met Mr Jefferies myself, he left before I arrived, but I am reliably informed he was an excellent teacher, achieving outstanding grades for pupils. I do hope any allegations against him prove to be unfounded.

But first and foremost our thoughts go out to the Yeates’ family for their dreadful ordeal’. THAT might have shown some real leadership and class; what we got – to me – was little short of shameful. Well, shameful at £9000 a term.





http://www.businessandpolitics.org/?p=4431