Wednesday, December 1, 2010

'I thought it was a joke': Unlikely style icon Helena Bonham Carter's shock at making Vanity Fair's best dressed list

By Maysa Rawi
Last updated at 10:47 AM on 30th November 2010

Helena Bonham Carter has always been proud to show off her quirky fashion sense.
But even the actress herself was stunned to discover she made the 2010 Vanity Fair best dressed list this year, keeping company with trendsetters such as Samantha Cameron and Carey Mulligan.
The Harry Potter star, 44, who counts Marie Antoinette as one of her style icons, told the New York Daily News: 'It was a triumph!
HARRY
Helena Bonham Carter
Helena Bonham Carter

Style queen: Helena Bonham Carter was voted as best-dressed in the 2010 Vanity Fair International rankings
'It made me laugh because I thought it was a joke when I found out.
'But when I saw the article, I though, "Oh, the photos they've chosen are as bad as the ones they print when I'm worst dressed.'
Helena often attracts negative criticism for her unconventional wardrobe choices. But the bold self-expression makes a refreshing change to the red carpet fashion rules adhered to by Hollywood.
Helena Bonham Carter arrives for the premiere of Sweeney Todd
Helena Bonham Carter
Helena Bonham Carter
Unusual: The actress (pictured in Vivienne Westwood) , who often makes worst-dressed lists, was surprised to be given credit for her bold choices
And Vanity Fair claims their best-dressed list is 'is about individual taste, not fashion trends', making Helena a somewhat appropriate choice.
The Alice in Wonderland star claims her favourite items are 'her bloomers' and a pair of Vivienne Westwood shoes 'that instantly convert me from dwarf to Amazon'.
The actress, who has two children with long-term partner director Tim Burton, is often picture in Vivienne's dresses and has long been a fan of the British designer but despite being a fan of the label, she still insists fashion does not dictate her choices.
HELENA BONHAM-CARTER
HELENA BONHAM CARTER
HELENA BONHAM CARTER
Original: Helena doesn't care about the pressures of dressing well and wears what she feels comfortable in

Helena said: 'I don't feel any pressure to dress well. When I was younger, I cared more what people say.
'When I did do the Oscar thing, I did feel quite a lot of pressure to dress a certain way.'
Also named alongside Helena are singer Lady Gaga and footballer David Beckham.


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1334144/Helena-Bonham-Carter-makes-Vanity-Fairs-best-dressed-list.html#ixzz16tYI1MNS